Thursday, June 11, 2009

Superman was adopted! And He Turned Out Just Fine! (Free Journal #5)

Today’s presentation was by Ashley and Katie, about adoption. First I’d like to say, this was one Jess wanted our group to do, and me being super chilled was thinking kayy. After doing our presentation about uniforms and seeing this one, I’m happy that we didn’t take on adoption. For 3/4’s of the presentation it kind of lost my interest, not so much because of Ashley or Katie, but because I can’t really imagine the feelings involved in being adopted. Their serious tone towards the issue made it very informative, but even still, I’ll never really be able to relate. All I know about adoption is Superman was adopted...

Hearing Ashley’s stories about her brothers being adopted was pretty cool though. I never knew too much about her family and stuff (other then her younger brother ripped up all of her calc tests!) So this really added a personal touch that quite a few presentations we lacking. I’m still not totally sure about what the difference between an open and a closed adoption is, but I do know that when celebrities adopt children, they tend to give them some of the STUPIDEST names. I guess they name their biological children weird things too.(http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names.html. Cracked tells me that Nick Cage’s son is named Kal-El (Speaking of superman...) “Brangelina” named their son Maddox and Michael Jackson named his son Blanket!

The best part of the debate happened during the question “Should same sex-marriage couples be allowed to adopt a child?” This led to a heated discussion between Jordan and Willow about the issue, as well as how smart children really are at the young age of 6. After some hilarious comments, and a super ranting Willow, we came to the realization that in the end it is a very difficult thing for parents of adopted children to decide when to tell them the truth. We also learned that sometimes you shouldn’t really voice your opinions if they are openly offensive. Another then was that facebook can be a good way to continue arguments. Oh also what’s up with “T” uterus’s.... you’d need a curvy wiener??

No comments:

Post a Comment