Thursday, June 11, 2009

Best Presentation Everrrrr Coming Soon! (Free Journal #6)

Since I’ve beasted up a whole bunch of soc stuff lately, almost a 2 a night schedule, I’m thinking maybe tonight (The night before Brandon, Ashneet and Kayla’s intense presentation) I will write about my thoughts on their topic. Then afterwards, tomorrow I’ll do another journal on how their life changingly awesome presentation effected my views. Their topic is going to be same sex marriage.

I guess in order to comment on same sex marriage, I need to first say how I feel about homosexuality. Its a tough call, in all honestly. For the record I’m SUPER straight. I sometimes make gay jokes, like just silly comments like everyone I guess, like saying “thats so GAY!” or “what are you, GAY?” (not that there's anything wrong with that) But I’m not really a hater, although this year really helped me become more accepting. Someone I knew since grade 7 was apparently gay for sure, and I was like WHATTTTTT EWWWWW! And then I was always afraid he was checking me out, and would constantly try and make sure my collar was super closed. But then finally I decided nawww he’s still the same guy, there whas just no whey! I was in like a crazy amount denial, but then that became an acceptance I guess. I just knew, if I turned around my butt wasn’t being eye raped...thats for the ladies to do! This is really hard to explain, but I guess simply over time it became cool. (Wow that story turned out bland, not funny without names and backstory, my bad)

So should same sex marriage be allowed? Well why not?? Its not really interfering with anyone else’s business, its their own personal relationship. Not hurting anyone else. I think society should learn to overcome their dislike over the idea, or else just mind their own business. That doesn’t sound too practical, but I guess that’s what we have to strive towards.

However should they be able to adopt children?? This was something we talked about today, and there are some good arguments on either side. The children will likely learn to be more accepting of others, in many different minority groups, however might also be more likely to become homosexual themselves, which is still against the norm. Furthermore I guess people could argue, “Is it right to have 2 dads, or 2 moms?” A family is a really important agent of socialization, and if it is too disrupted, could have major consequences. It works really well because the child gets both a mother and a father as a role model. Having two of the same parent, when the majority of others have a man and a woman could really change things. Still, there have been so many changes to the types of families in modern days maybe it could still work.

Anyways, super excited!!! Good Luck Guys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment