Friday, June 12, 2009

An Awesome Birthday Boy's Awesome Presentation (And the Whole Group) Free Journal #7

Ok so first want to say, walking in to soc and hearing Black Sheep Boy playing was probably the coolest thing ever! Was also super weird, cause I’ve been listening to it almost nonstop for the past few days. Its soooo good, when it hits you, it really hits you hard! Works as a whole better then any other Okkervil album, extremely brilliant. Also, thought I should say that even though Lost Coastlines is super amazing and catchy, I think my favourite Okkervil song of all is A Girl in Port, from the Stage Names. So far no ones agreed with me on that, but I love it!

Another thing is...Its Brandon’s Birthday!!!! He is suchhhhh a hero, going to get a BILLION facebook comments and high fives! (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN) But it was also his day to present about Gay Marriage, as I mentioned yesterday. So how has the INTENSE presentation changed me? Well first I should talk about the presentation itself. Was really solid and interesting, trying to explain the true definition of a marriage, learning about “da bishop” and also proposition 8. I didn’t find the two videos as funny as they were hyped up to be though! Just the awkwardness of the cute girl questioning the gay couple was supposed to be super funny, but I wasn’t feeling it. I always thought Arnold Schwarttzenbacker (My Govna can beat up your Govna) was doing like crazy awesome things for California, however I didn’t think they were trying to ban gay marriages. Seems pretty unfair!

The discussion part went about the same way as usual and was pretty interesting. I kinda imagined it would have been funnier though, after hearing Jordan yesterday. Today though he wasn’t there, and so it was more typical. The main point brought up was that perhaps if religion is in control of the term and meaning of marriage, then the government should make a replacement civil union under a different name for gay couples. However is this really fair? It seems like it is definitely a form of discrimination, but still as long as they can live together, receive the same benefits etc is it really worth fighting for? After all being married is just a title. Yes, there is some security in it, but it has lost some of its importance over the years, with a laughably high rate of divorce. Most of the class seemed to agree with the idea that gay marriage should be allowed, however the more specifics behind this were still under debate. I think Jessica Little (NOT Brandon’s sister!) had some interesting points about cohabilitation, though now its all slightly fuzzy.

Anyways, pretty awesome presentation to end the year off with, so sad that there is only 2 classes left though! Going to miss this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment